Francesca L. Facco, MD, MSCi
Assistant Professor, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology & Reproductive Science, Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine, UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital
Research in Brief
Dr. Facco is a maternal fetal medicine specialist with over 8 years of experience studying sleep and pregnancy. She has a masters degree in clinical investigation. Her early work focused on describing sleep in pregnancy focusing on the prevalence of sleep disorders. This work demonstrated that sleep disorders are common in pregnancy and highlighted the need for further research to determine their impact on maternal and fetal health. She has subsequently worked to determine how poor sleep may impact pregnancy health. This record in conducting research on the impact of poor sleep in pregnancy has led to her current involvement as a co-Investigator in the sleep sub-studies of the multicenter Nulliparous Pregnancy Outcome Study She is also currently the PI of an ongoing randomized-controlled trial of sleep disordered breathing treatment in pregnancy (R01 HL120354-01A1).
- Facco FL, Kramer J, Ho KH, Zee PC, Grobman WA. Sleep disturbances in pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol. 2010 Jan;115(1):77-83. PubMed PMID: 20027038.
- Facco FL, Lappen J, Lim C, Zee PC, Grobman WA. Preeclampsia and Sleep-Disordered Breathing: A Case-Control Study. Pregnancy Hypertens. 2013 Apr;3(2):133-139. PubMed PMID: 23997999; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3753183.
- Facco FL, Ouyang DW, Zee PC, Grobman WA. Sleep disordered breathing in a high-risk cohort prevalence and severity across pregnancy. Am J Perinatol. 2014 Nov;31(10):899-904. PubMed PMID: 24515622; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4531051.
- Facco FL, Parker CB, Reddy UM, Silver RM, Louis JM, Basner RC, Chung JH, Schubert FP, Pien GW, Redline S, Mobley DR, Koch MA, Simhan HN, Nhan-Chang CL, Parry S, Grobman WA, Haas DM, Wing DA, Mercer BM, Saade GR, Zee PC. NuMoM2b Sleep-Disordered Breathing study: objectives and methods. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015 Apr;212(4):542.e1-127. PubMed PMID: 25746730; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4410772.
- Facco FL, Grobman WA, Kramer J, Ho KH, Zee PC. Self-reported short sleep duration and frequent snoring in pregnancy: impact on glucose metabolism. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010 Aug;203(2):142.e1-5. PubMed PMID: 20510182; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3178265.
- Facco FL, Liu CS, Cabello AA, Kick A, Grobman WA, Zee PC. Sleep-disordered breathing: a risk factor for adverse pregnancy outcomes?. Am J Perinatol. 2012 Apr;29(4):277-82. PubMed PMID: 22105436.
- Facco FL, Ouyang DW, Zee PC, Strohl AE, Gonzalez AB, Lim C, Grobman WA. Implications of sleep-disordered breathing in pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014 Jun;210(6):559.e1-6. PubMed PMID: 24373947; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4511595.
- Twedt R, Bradley M, Deiseroth D, Althouse A, Facco F. Sleep Duration and Blood Glucose Control in Women With Gestational Diabetes Mellitus. Obstet Gynecol. 2015 Aug;126(2):326-31. PubMed PMID: 26241422; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4526115.
For additional publications, visit Pubmed.