Samia H Lopa, PhD
Research Assistant Professor, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology & Reproductive Sciences, University of Pittsburgh
"Appropriate design and statistical analysis are essential for clinical trials and observational studies in biomedical research. I am interested in developing and applying statistical methods to analyze data from clinical trials and observational studies focusing on women's health."
Samia H Lopa, PhD
Research in Brief
|Dr. Lopa provides statistical support for the research activities initiated by MWRI investigators related to clinical and translational research in women. In this role she collaborates with the investigators starting from the grant proposal preparation to the completion of the study providing input on study design, sample size and power analysis, statistical methods, analysis of data, and manuscript preparation. Her research interest is in the design and analysis of clinical trials, analysis of longitudinal and clustered data, and survival analysis. Specifically, she has published research papers in breast cancer, colorectal and other urological cancers, endometrial cancer, and more recently, in reproductive health and pregnancy outcomes.|
1. Lei M, Adambekov S, Edwards RP, Wang R, Yuan JM, Kalix E, Lopa S, Linkov F. Endometrial cancer risk factors in Singapore Chinese: A prospective cohort study. Annals of Epidemiology. 2022 Apr 21.
2. Ackenbom MF, Zyczynski HM, Butters MA, Lopa S, Orris SR, Davis EM. Postoperative delirium in older patients after undergoing pelvic organ prolapse surgery. International Urogynecology Journal. 2022 Apr 11:1-9.
3. Wang T, Krishnamurti T, Bernard M, Lopa S, Quinn B, Simhan H. Perceptions and knowledge of COVID-19 vaccine safety and efficacy among vaccinated and non-vaccinated obstetric healthcare workers. Behavioral Medicine. 2021 Dec 29:1-3.
4. Qi M, Lopa S, Adambekov S, Harris JA, Mansuria S, Edwards RP, Linkov F. Same-day discharge after minimal invasive hysterectomy: Applications for improved value of care. European Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Reproductive Biology. 2021 Apr 1;259:140-5.
5. Hugar LA, Yabes JG, Filippou P, Wulff-Burchfield EM, Lopa SH, Gore J, Davies BJ, Jacobs BL. High-intensity end-of-life care among Medicare beneficiaries with bladder cancer. InUrologic Oncology: Seminars and Original Investigations 2021 Oct 1 (Vol. 39, No. 10, pp. 731-e17). Elsevier.
6. Adambekov S, Lopa S, Edwards RP, Lemon L, Wang S, Taylor SE, Orr B, Linkov F. Survival and recurrence after intraperitoneal chemotherapy use: Retrospective review of ovarian cancer hospital registry data. Cancer Medicine. 2020 Oct 1.
7. Sutton EF, Rogan SC, Lopa S, Sharbaugh D, Muldoon MF, Catov JM. Early pregnancy blood pressure elevations and risk for maternal and neonatal morbidity. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2020 Jul 1;136(1):129-39.
8. Macleod LC, Fam MM, Yabes JG, Hale NE, Turner II RM, Lopa SH, Gingrich JR, Borza T, Skolarus TA, Davies BJ, Jacobs BL. Comparison of Neoadjuvant and Adjuvant Chemotherapy in Muscle-invasive Bladder Cancer. Clinical genitourinary cancer. 2020 Jun 1;18(3):201-9.
9. Emery SP, Lopa S, Waters JH. Impact of intrauterine transfusion on fetal coagulation physiology by thromboelastography. Prenatal Diagnosis. 2020 Apr;40(5):585-9.
10. Sassani JC, Ross JH, Lopa S, Handzel RM, Bradley MS, Bonidie M. Prolapse Recurrence After Sacrocolpopexy Mesh Removal: A Retrospective Cohort Study. Female Pelvic Medicine & Reconstructive Surgery. 2020 Feb 1;26(2):92-6.
11. Jacobs BL, Yabes JG, Lopa SH, Heron DE, Chang CC, Bekelman JE, Nelson JB, Bynum JP, Barnato AE, Kahn JM. Patterns of stereotactic body radiation therapy: The influence of lung cancer treatment on prostate cancer treatment. InUrologic Oncology: Seminars and Original Investigations 2020 Feb 1 (Vol. 38, No. 2, pp. 37-e21). Elsevier.
12. Jacobs BL, Yabes JG, Lopa SH, Heron DE, Chang CC, Bekelman JE, Nelson JB, Bynum JP, Barnato AE, Kahn JM. The influence of stereotactic body radiation therapy adoption on prostate cancer treatment patterns. The Journal of Urology. 2020 Jan;203(1):128-36.
13. Jacobs BL, Yabes JG, Lopa SH, Heron DE, Chang CC, Bekelman JE, Nelson JB, Bynum JP, Barnato AE, Kahn JM. The development and validation of prostate cancer-specific physician-hospital networks. Urology. 2020 Apr 1;138:37-44.
14. Sylvester C, Menke M, Lopa S, Gopalan P. Disordered eating and distress in women seeking in vitro fertilization. Journal of Psychosomatic Research. 2019 Nov 18;128:109880-.
15. Adambekov, S., Yi, Y., Fabio, A., Miljkovic, I., Edwards, R. P., Lopa, S., & Linkov, F. (2019). Metabolic Syndrome in Endometrial Cancer Patients: Systematic Review. Metab Syndr Relat Disord. 2019 Jun;17(5):241-249. doi: 10.1089/met.2018.0106. Epub 2019 Mar 30.
16. Hugar, L. A., Lopa, S. H., Yabes, J. G., Yu, J. A., Turner, R. M., Fam, M. M., ... & Jacobs, B. L. (2019). Palliative care use amongst patients with bladder cancer. BJU Int. 2019 Jun;123(6):968-975. doi: 10.1111/bju.14708. Epub 2019 Mar 12.
17. Jacobs, B.L., Yabes, J.G., Lopa, S.H., Heron, D.E., Chang, C.C.H., Bekelman, J.E., Nelson, J.B., Bynum, J.P., Barnato, A.E. and Kahn, J.M., 2019. The Influence of Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy Adoption on Prostate Cancer Treatment Patterns. The Journal of urology, pp.10-1097.
18. Jacobs, B. L., Lopa, S. H., Yabes, J. G., Nelson, J. B., Barnato, A. E., & Degenholtz, H. B. (2019). Change in functional status after prostate cancer treatment among Medicare Advantage beneficiaries. Urology. 2019 Sep;131:104-111. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2019.05.029. Epub 2019 Jun 7.
19. Macleod, L. C., Yabes, J. G., Yu, M., Fam, M. M., Hale, N. E., Turner II, R. M., Lopa, S.H. & Davies, B. J. (2019). Trends and appropriateness of perioperative chemotherapy for muscle-invasive bladder cancer. In Urologic Oncology: Seminars and Original Investigations 2019 Apr 30. Elsevier.
20. Fam, M. M., Yabes, J. G., Macleod, L. C., Bandari, J., Turner II, R. M., Lopa, S. H., ... & Jacobs, B. L. (2019). Increasing Utilization of Multiparametric Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Prostate Cancer Active Surveillance. Urology. 2019 Aug;130:99-105. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2019.02.037. Epub 2019 Mar 30.
21. Macleod, L. C., Turner II, R. M., Lopa, S., Hugar, L. A., Davies, B. J., Ben-David, B., ... & Nelson, J. B. (2018). Effect of multimodal analgesia with paravertebral blocks on biochemical recurrence in men undergoing open radical prostatectomy. In Urologic Oncology: Seminars and Original Investigations (Vol. 36, No. 8, pp. 364-e9). Elsevier.
22. Jacobs, B. L., Yabes, J. G., Lopa, S. H., Heron, D. E., Chang, C.-C. H., Schroeck, F. R., Bekelman, J. E., Kahn, J. M., Nelson, J. B. and Barnato, A. E. (2017), The early adoption of intensity-modulated radiotherapy and stereotactic body radiation treatment among older Medicare beneficiaries with prostate cancer. Cancer, 123: 2945–2954. doi:10.1002/cncr.30574
23. Jacobs, B. L., Lopa, S. H., Yabes, J. G., Nelson, J. B., Barnato, A. E. and Degenholtz, H. B. (2016), Association of functional status and treatment choice among older men with prostate cancer in the Medicare Advantage population. Cancer, 122: 3199–3206. doi:10.1002/cncr.30184
24. Russell, M.M., Ganz, P.A., Lopa, S., Yothers, G., Ko, C.Y., Arora, A., Atkins, J.N., Bahary, N., Soori, G., Robertson, J.M. and Eakle, J., 2015. Comparative effectiveness of sphincter-sparing surgery
versus abdominoperineal resection in rectal cancer: patient-reported outcomes in National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project randomized trial R-04. Annals of surgery, 261(1), p.144.
25. Allegra, Carmen J; Yothers, Greg; O'Connell, Michael J; Sharif, Saima; Petrelli, Nicholas J; Lopa, SH; Wolmark, Norman; (2013). Bevacizumab in stage II-III colon cancer: 5-year update of the National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project C-08 trial Journal of Clinical Oncology Vol.31(3) pp 359-364.
26. McCahill, Laurence E; Yothers, Greg; Sharif, Saima; Petrelli, Nicholas J; Lai, Lily Lau; Bechar, Naftali; Giguere, Jeffrey K; Dakhil, Shaker R; Fehrenbacher, Louis; Lopa, SH; et al. (2012). Primary mFOLFOX6 plus bevacizumab without resection of the primary tumor for patients presenting with surgically unresectable metastatic colon cancer and an intact asymptomatic colon cancer: definitive analysis of NSABP trial C-10 Journal of Clinical Oncology Vol.30(26) pp 3223-3228.
27. Allegra, Carmen J; Yothers, Greg; O'Connell, Michael J; Sharif, Saima; Petrelli, Nicholas J; Colangelo, Linda H; Atkins, James N; Seay, Thomas E; Fehrenbacher, Louis; Goldberg, Richard M; O'Reilly, S; Chu, L; Azar, CA; Lopa, Samia H; and Wolmark, N (2011). Phase III trial assessing bevacizumab in stages II and III carcinoma of the colon: results of NSABP protocol C-08 Journal of Clinical Oncology Vol.29(1) pp 11-16.
28. Wilkinson, Neal W; Yothers, Greg; Lopa, S; Costantino, Joseph P; Petrelli, Nicholas J; Wolmark, Norman; (2010). Long-term survival results of surgery alone versus surgery plus 5-fluorouracil and leucovorin for stage II and stage III colon cancer: pooled analysis of NSABP C-01 through C-05. A baseline from which to compare modern adjuvant trials. Annals of surgical oncology Vol.17(4) pp 959-966.
29. Allegra, C.J., Yothers, G., O'Connell, M.J., Sharif, S., Colangelo, L.H., Lopa, S.H., Petrelli, N.J., Goldberg, R.M., Atkins, J.N., Seay, T.E. and Fehrenbacher, L., 2009. Initial safety report of NSABP C-08: a randomized phase III study of modified FOLFOX6 with or without bevacizumab for the adjuvant treatment of patients with stage II or III colon cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 27(20), p.3385.
30. Sharif, S., O'Connell, M. J., Yothers, G., Lopa, S., & Wolmark, N. (2008). FOLFOX and FLOX regimens for the adjuvant treatment of resected stage II and III colon cancer. Cancer investigation, 26(9), 956-963.
31. Wahed, S and Ali M. M. (2001). Dirac generalization function: An alternative to the change of variable technique. Journal of Statistical Research, 35(2), pp. 57-70.