Alexander N. Yatsenko, MD, PhD
Assistant Professor, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology & Reproductive Sciences, University of Pittsburgh; Director, Pittsburgh Clinical Genomic Laboratory
Research in Brief
The Yatsenko Research Group utilizes molecular DNA, RNA and novel genomic high-through put approaches to decipher genetic defects underlying male infertility. Their goal is to improve genetic diagnosis for infertile men via application of new procedures and scientific findings into clinical practice. Currently, the diagnosis for male infertility is limited to testing of a small proportion of patients for chromosome aberrations. Current therapies available for this condition are IVF and ICSI procedures, while there is no single feature that has been shown to accurately predict the success rate for these procedures or the future health of children born via these technologies.
Using cytogenetic, DNA and RNA sequencing, array comparative genomic hybridization (CGH), and next generation sequencing, the group examines hundreds of patients of several disease categories with male infertility for various genetic defects that would cause or influence male infertility. All genetic findings are subject for careful examination via statistical, computational and functional in vitro and/or vivo approaches. Priorities are given to novel or known molecular mechanisms causing male infertility that can be modified by medication.
- Yatsenko AN, Georgiadis AP, Röpke A, Berman AJ, Jaffe TM, Olszewska M, Westernströer B, Sanfilippo JS, Kurpisz M, Rajkovic A, Yatsenko SA, Kliesch S, Schlatt S, Tuttelman F. X-linked TEX11mutations, meiotic arrest and azoospermia in infertile men. N Engl J Med. 2015;372(22):2097-107.
- Georgiadis AP, Kishore A, Zorrilla M, Jaffe TM, Sanfilippo JS, Volk E, Rajkovic A, Yatsenko AN. High quality RNA in semen and sperm: Isolation, analysis and potential application in clinical testing. J Urol. 2015;193(1):352-9.
- Wiland E, Olszewska M, Georgiadis A, Huleyuk N, Panasiuk B, Zastavna D, Yatsenko SA, Jedrzejczak P, Midro AT, Yatsenko AN, Kurpisz M. Cytogenetic and molecular analyses of de novo translocation dic(9;13)(p11.2;p12) in an infertile male. Mol Cytogenet. 2014;7(1):14.
- Zorrilla M, Yatsenko AN. The Genetics of Infertility: Current Status of the Field. Curr Genet Med Rep. 2013;1(4).
- Yatsenko AN, Georgiadis A, Murthy LJ, Lamb DJ, Matzuk MM. UBE2B mRNA alterations are associated with severe oligozoospermia in infertile men. Mol Hum Reprod. 2013;19(6):388-94.
- McGuire MM, Yatsenko A, Hoffner L, Jones M, Surti U, Rajkovic A. Whole exome sequencing in a random sample of North American women with leiomyomas identifies MED12 mutations in majority of uterine leiomyomas. PLoS One. 2012;7(3): e33251.
- Yatsenko AN, O’Neil DS, Roy A, Arias-Mendoza PA, Chen R, Murthy LJ, Lamb DJ, Matzuk MM. Association of mutations in the zona pellucida binding protein 1 (ZPBP1) gene with abnormal sperm head morphology in infertile men. Mol Hum Reprod. 2012;18(1):14-21.
- Hwang K, Yatsenko AN, Jorgez CJ, Mukherjee S, Nalam RL, Matzuk MM, Lamb DJ. Mendelian genetics of male infertility. Ann NY Acad Sci. 2010;1214: E1-E17.
- Yatsenko AN, Yatsenko SA, Weedin JW, Lawrence AE, Patel A, Peacock S. Matzuk MM, Lamb DJ, Cheung SW, Lipshultz LI. Comprehensive 5-year study of cytogenetic aberrations in 668 infertile men. J Urol. 2010;183(4):1636-42.
- Yatsenko AN, Iwamori N, Iwamori T, Matzuk MM. The power of mouse genetics to study spermatogenesis. J Androl. 2010; 31(1):34-44.
- Yatsenko AN, Roy A, Chen R, Ma L, Murthy LJ, Yan W, Lamb DJ, Matzuk MM. Non-invasive genetic diagnosis of male infertility using spermatozoal RNA: KLHL10 mutations in oligozoospermic patients impair homodimerization. Hum Mol Genet. 2006;15(23):3411-9.
For additional publications, visit Pubmed.