John Harris, MD, MSc
Assistant Professor, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology & Reproductive Sciences
"Whether it is someone with a disability learning how to achieve her reproductive health goals or someone with severe obesity and disability searching for good long-term care services, we need to help healthcare systems have more dignity, more equity, more accessibility, and more accommodation."
John Harris, MD, MSc
Research in Brief
Dr. Harris strives to improve the lives of people with disabilities across their lifespans, from decisions about reproductive health to end-of-life care. He aims to improve how the healthcare system interacts with people of all sizes, cognitive functions, mobility needs, and communication styles. Dr. Harris’s research is motivated by the patients he sees in the UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital Center for Women with Disabilities.
Specific areas of research include:
- Improving health care delivery for people with severe obesity needing long-term services and supports
- Improving reproductive and pregnancy education for women with disabilities
DEVELOPING AND TESTING AN EVIDENCE-BASED TOOLKIT FOR NURSING HOME CARE OF RESIDENTS WITH OBESITY
Funding: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality 1R01 HS026943 (PI: Harris) 7/18-4/24
EVALUATION OF HOME- AND COMMUNITY-BASED SERVICES FOR ADULTS WITH OBESITY AND DISABILITIES
Funding: Pennsylvania Department of Health Project 4100088553 (PI: Harris) 6/21-6/25
CENTER FOR PREGNANCY AND DISABILITY RESEARCH
Funding: National Institute on Disability, Independent Living, and Rehabilitation Research (PIs: Mitra/Horner-Johnson) 7/21-6/24
ADDRESSING REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH CARE DISPARITIES AND BARRIERS AMONG YOUTH AND YOUNG ADULTS WITH DISABILITIES
Funding: National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (PIs: Mitra/Horner-Johnson) 2/22-1/28
DISPARITIES IN PERINATAL CARE AND OUTCOMES AMONG BLACK WOMEN AND LATINAS WITH PHYSICAL DISABILITIES
Funding: National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (PIs: Mitra/Horner-Johnson) 9/21-8/25
- Harris JA, Kavalieratos D, Thoonkuzhy M, Shieu B, Schenker Y. • Trends in Obesity Prevalence among US Older Adults in the Last Two Years of Life, 1998-2018. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2023 Feb;65(2):81-86. PMID: 36384180O
- Connor-Terry C, Harris JA. Pregnancy Decision-Making in Women with Physical Disabilities. Disability and Health Journal. In press. 2021. doi:/10.1016/j.dhjo.2021.101176. PMID: 34353758
- Zuo S, Ackenbom M, Harris JA. Racial Differences in Urinary Catheter Use Among Female Nursing Home Residents. Urology. 2022 Dec 5:S0090-4295(22)01002-0. PMID: 36481201
- McGarity MZ, Herndon CN, Harris JA, Hobbs BF. Impact of satellite clinics on geographic access to assisted reproductive technology services in the United States. BMC Health Services Research. 2022 In press. PMID: 35854307
- Foley C, Donnellan N, Harris JA. Tissue Extraction in Gynecologic Surgery: Past, Present, and Future. Clinical Obstetric and Gynecology. Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2020 Jun;63(2):305-319. doi: 10.1097/GRF.0000000000000511. PMID: 31850944.
- Harris JA, Castle NG. Obesity and Nursing Home Care in the United States: A Systematic Review. Gerontologist. 2019 May 17;59(3):e196-e206. doi: 10.1093/geront/gnx128. PubMed PMID: 29253135
- Harris JA, Engberg J, Castle NG. Organizational and Geographic Nursing Home Characteristics Associated with Increasing Prevalence of Resident Obesity in the United States. J Appl Gerontol. 2019 Apr 25:733464819843045.
- Harris JA, Garrett AG, Akers AY. Disparities in Human Papillomavirus vaccination prevalence and age of administration by body mass index among US women: population-based cross-sectional analysis. Womens Health Issues 2018 Nov 13. pii: S1049-3867(18)30289-5
- Harris JA, Castle NG. Obesity and Intensive Staffing Needs of Nursing Home Residents. Geriatr Nurs. 2018 Jun 5. pii: S0197-4572(18)30120-4.
- Harris JA, Menke MN, Haefner JK, Moniz MH, Perumalswami CR. Geographic access to assisted reproductive technology healthcare in the United States: a population-based cross-sectional study. Fertil Steril. 2017. Apr;107(4):1023-1027.
- Harris JA, Sammarco A, Swenson CA, Uppal S, Kamdar N, Morgan DM. Association of a potential perioperative care process bundle and postoperative complications reduction among hysterectomy in Michigan. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017 May;216(5):502.e1-502.e11.
- Byhoff E, Harris JA, Ayanian JZ. Characteristics of Decedents in Medicare Advantage and Traditional Medicare. JAMA Intern Med. 2016 Jul 1;176(7):1020-3.
- Harris JA, Iott B, Power R, Moniz M, Griggs JJ. Obesity and the Receipt of Influenza and Pneumococcal Immunization: a Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. BMC Obesity. 2016, 3(1):1-11.
- Harris JA, Herrel LA, Healy MA, Wancata L, Perumalswami CR. Milestones for the Final Mile: Interspecialty Distinctions in Primary Palliative Care Skills Training. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2016 Sep;52(3):345-352.
- Harris JA, Byhoff ER. Variations by State in Physician Disciplinary Actions by US Medical Licensure Boards. BMJ Qual. Saf. 2016 Mar 23.
- Harris JA, Swenson C, Uppal S, Kamdar N, Mahnert N, As-Sanie S, Morgan DM. Practice patterns and postoperative complications before and after US Food and Drug Administration safety communication on power morcellation. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016 Jan; 214(1):98.
For additional publications, visit Pubmed.