Nicole Donnellan, MD
Assistant Professor, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology & Reproductive Sciences, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Associate Program Director, OB-GYN Residency
As a surgeon, I take great pride in educating the next generation in the complex art of treating advanced endometriosis in the operating room. However, as a researcher I remain appalled that the only way we can currently diagnose and treat this crippling disease is by surgery. It is the 21st century - we owe our patients more than this.
Nicole Donnellan, MD
Research in Brief
Dr. Donnellan’s primary research interest lies in the early detection and treatment of endometriosis. She is currently leading the development of the Endometriosis and Chronic Pelvic Pain Center of UPMC, a program that aims to optimize multidisciplinary clinical care and coordinate research efforts. She has established a large prospective bio bank of endometriosis tissue and collaborates with MWRI basic science investigators to better understand the pathogenesis, diagnosis and treatment of this common and debilitating disease. Current investigations focus on biomarker development as well as local and systemic inflammatory responses in endometriosis.
Dr. Donnellan is also committed to surgical education and research. She is the associate Program Director of the OB-GYN Residency and the assistant Program Director of the Fellowship in Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery. She has developed and refined the laparoscopic simulation curriculum in the OB-GYN residency program at UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital and most recently has studied the addition of coaching and video review to enhance simulation training. She is also passionate about improving trainee feedback and has pioneered an online application to capture resident feedback as a means for improved learning and tracking competency.
- Linkov F, Adambekov S, Donnellan N, Mansuria S, Comerci J, Edwards R. Identification of processes that lead to paradigm changes for gynecologic practices. NEJM Catalyst, December 12, 2018. https://catalyst.nejm.org/deci... A, Chamsy D, Austin M, Guido R, Lee T, Mansuria S, Rindos N, Donnellan N. Use of Uterine Characteristics to Improve Fertility Sparing Diagnosis of Adenomyosis. J Gynecol Surg 2018; 34: 183-189. PMID 30087549.
- Connolly A, Goepfert A, Blanchard A, Buys E, Donnellan N, Amundsen C, Galvin S, Kenton K. myTIPreport and Training for Independent Practice: A Tool for Real-Time Workplace Feedback for Milestones and Procedural Skills. J Grad Med Educ 2018; 10: 70-77. PMID: 29467977.
- Connolly A, Goepfert A, Blanchard A, Donnellan N, Buys E, Kenton K Surgical Skills Feedback and myTIPreport: Is There Construct Validity. Obstet Gynecol 2017; 30: 17S-23S.PMID: 28937514.
- Sanei-Moghaddam A, Goughnour S, Edwards R, Comerci J, Kelley J, Donnellan N, Linkov F, Mansuria S. Hysterectomy pathways as the global engine of practice change: Implications for value in care. Cent Asian J Glob Health 2017; 6 (1). doi: 10.5195/cajgh.2017.299. PMID:29138742.
- Ramirez C, Donnellan N. Pelvic denervation procedures for dysmenorrhea. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol 2017; 29: 225-230. PMID: 28683027.
- Peters A, Sadecky AM, Winger DG, Guido RS, Lee T, Mansuria SM, Donnellan NM. Characterization and Preoperative Risk Analysis of Leiomyosarcomas at a High-Volume Tertiary Care Center. Int J Gynecol Cancer 2017; 27: 1183-1190. PMID: 28463949.
- Rindos N, Wroble-Biglan M, Ecker A, Lee T, Donnellan N. Impact of Video-Based Coaching on Gynecologic Resident Laparoscopic Suturing: A Randomized Controlled Trial. J Minim Invasive Gynecol 2017; 24: 426-431. PMID: 28063907.
- Stuparich M, Donnellan N, Sanfilippo J. Endometriosis in the Adolescent Patient. Semin Reprod Med 2017; 35: 102-109. PMID: 27992932.
- Louie M, Moulder J, Donnellan N, Hur H, Siedhoff M. Clinical application of morcellation: Provider perceptions survey (the CAMPPS study). J. Gynecol Surg 2017; 33: 12-16.
- King CR, Donnellan N, Guido R, Ecker A, Althouse AD, Mansuria S. Development and Validation of a Laparoscopic Simulation Model for Suturing the Vaginal Cuff. Obstet Gynecol 2015; 126: 27S-35S.PMID: 26375557.
- Suryawanshi S, Huang X, Elishae E, Budiu R, Zhang L, Kim S, Donnellan N, Mantia-Smaldone G, Ma T, Tseng G, Lee T, Mansuria S, Edward R, Vlad A. Complement pathway is frequently altered in endometriosis and endometriosis-associated ovarian cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2014; 20: 6163-74. PMID: 25294912.
- Ecker AM, Donnellan NM, Shepherd JP, Lee T. Abdominal wall endometriosis: 12 years of experience at a large academic institution. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2014; 211: 363.e1-5. PMID: 24732005.
- Arden D, Seifert E, Donnellan N, Guido R, Lee T, Mansuria S. Intraperitoneal instillation of bupivacaine for the reduction of post-operative pain after laparoscopic hysterectomy: a double-blind randomized controlled trial. J Minim Invasive Gynecol 2013; 20: 620-626. PMID: 23706546.
- Suryawanshi S, Vlad A, Hui-Min L, Mantia-Smaldone G, Laskey R, Lee M, Lin Y, Donnellan N, Klein-Patel M, Lee T, Mansuria S, Elishaev E, Budiu R, Edwards R, Huang X. Plasma microRNAs as novel biomarkers for endometriosis and endometriosis-associated ovarian cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2013; 19: 1213-1224. PMID: 23362326.
For additional publications, please visit Pubmed.