- Our Investigators
- Tianjiao Chu, PhD
Tianjiao Chu, PhD
Associate Professor Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology & Reproductive Sciences University of Pittsburgh
Thanks to the recent developments in technology, biological and medical researchers are producing molecular biology data at an unprecedent scale. I am interested in developing and applying computational and statistical methods to analyze this tremendous amount of data, so that we can better understand the complex biological processes.
Tianjiao Chu, PhD
Research in Brief
A major goal of Dr Chu’s research is to develop a sophisticated statistical model for next-generation sequencing and to examine the limitations of this technology, exploring its applications as a diagnostic tool. He also uses informatics tools to analyze mRNA and protein datasets.
- Chu T, Yeniterzi S, Yatsenko SA, Dunkel M, Rajkovic A, Hogge WA, Peters DG. Cell-free nucleic acids as non-invasive biomarkers of gynecological disorders, fetal aneuploidy and constitutional maternal chromosomal mosaicism. Hum Reprod Update 2015;21(5):690-2.
- Chu T, Mouillet JF, Hood BL, Conrads TP, Sadovsky Y. The assembly of miRNA-mRNA-protein regulatory networks using high-throughput expression data. Bioinformatics 2015;31(11):1780-7.
- Chu T, Bunce K, Shaw P, Shridhar V, Althouse A, Hubel C, Peters D. Comprehensive analysis of preeclampsia-associated DNA methylation in the placenta. PLoS One 2014;9(9):e107318.
- Chu T, Yeniterzi S, Rajkovic A, Hogge WA, Dunkel M, Shaw P, Bunce K, Peters DG. High resolution non-invasive detection of a fetal microdeletion using the GCREM algorithm. Prenat Diagn 2014;34(5):469-77.
- Delorme-Axford E, Donker RB, Mouillet JF, Chu T, Bayer A, Ouyang Y, Wang T, Stolz DB, Sarkar SN, Morelli AE, Sadovsky Y, Coyne CB. Human placental trophoblasts confer viral resistance to recipient cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2013;110(29):12048-53.
- Chu T, Handley D, Bunce K, Surti U, Hogge WA, Peters DG. Structural and regulatory characterization of the placental epigenome at its maternal interface. PLoS One 2011;6(2):e14723.
- Chu T, Bunce K, Hogge WA, Peters DG. A novel approach toward the challenge of accurately quantifying fetal DNA in maternal plasma. Prenat Diagn 2010;30(12-13):1226-9.
- Chu T, Bunce K, Hogge WA, Peters DG. Statistical considerations for digital approaches to non-invasive fetal genotyping. Bioinformatics 2010;26(22):2863-6.
- Chu T, Burke B, Bunce K, Surti U, Allen Hogge W, Peters DG. A microarray-based approach for the identification of epigenetic biomarkers for the noninvasive diagnosis of fetal disease. Prenat Diagn 2009;29(11):1020-30.
- Chu T, Bunce K, Hogge WA, Peters DG. Statistical model for whole genome sequencing and its application to minimally invasive diagnosis of fetal genetic disease. Bioinformatics 2009;25(10):1244-50.
- Peters DG, Ning W, Chu TJ, Li CJ, Choi AMK. Comparative SAGE Analysis of the Response to Hypoxia in Human Pulmonary and Aortic Endothelial Cells. Physiol Genomics 2006;26(2):99-108.
- Chu T. Limitations of statistical learning from gene expression data. Interface 2004: Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, Baltimore, MD, 2004.
- Chu T, Glymour C, Scheines R, Spirtes P. A Statistical problem for inference to regulatory structure from associations of gene expression measurement with microarrays. Bioinformatics, 2003;19(9):1147-1152
- Chu T, Scheines R, Spirtes P. Semi-instrumental variables: A test for instrument admissibility. 2001 Proceedings of the 17th Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence.