Hyagriv Simhan, MD, MS
Professor, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Science, Division Chief - Maternal Fetal Medicine, Vice Chair, Obstetrical Services, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology & Reproductive Sciences, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Medical Director, Obstetrical Services
Research in Brief
Our work on preterm birth is funded through the National Institutes of Health (NICHD, NIAID).
We focus on the following areas of preterm birth research:
- Understanding how maternal nutritional status influences the immune system and the risk of preterm birth
- Exploring the complex genetics and heritability of preterm birth
- Understanding normal and abnormal cervical biology, structure and function
- Exploring the biology and effectiveness of progesterone in preventing preterm birth
- Simhan HN, Ryckman KK, Williams SM, Krohn MA. Genetic regulation of cervical antiinflammatory cytokine concentrations during pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol.
- Simhan HN, Krohn MA. Am J Obstet Gynecol. First-trimester cervical inflammatory milieu and subsequent early preterm birth. 2009;200:377.e1-4.
- Bodnar LM, Krohn MA, Simhan HN. Maternal vitamin D deficiency is associated with bacterial vaginosis in the first trimester of pregnancy. J Nutr. 2009;139(6):1157-61.
- Kalan AM, Simhan HN. Mid-trimester cervical inflammatory milieu and sonographic cervical length. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010;203:126.e1-5.
- Bodnar LM, Himes KP, Venkataramanan R, Chen JY, Evans RW, Meyer JL, Simhan HN. Maternal serum folate species in early pregnancy and risk of preterm birth. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010;92:864-71.
- Gosman GG, King WC, Schrope B, Steffen KJ, Strain GW, Courcoulas AP, Flum DR, Pender JR, Simhan HN. Reproductive health of women electing bariatric surgery. Fertil Steril 2010;94:1426-31.
- Simhan HN, Bodnar LM, Kim KH. Lower genital tract inflammatory milieu and the risk of subsequent preterm birth: an exploratory factor analysis. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 2011;25:277-82.
- Simhan HN, Himes KP, Venkataramanan R, Bodnar LM. Maternal serum folate species in early pregnancy and lower genital tract inflammatory milieu. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2011;205:61.e1-7.
- Ramaeker DM, Simhan HN. Sonographic cervical length, vaginal bleeding, and the risk of preterm birth. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2012;206:224.e1-4.
- Facco FL, Simhan HN. Short ultrasonographic cervical length in women with low-risk obstetric history. Obstet Gynecol 2013;122:858-62.
- Hutcheon JA, Platt RW, Abrams B, Himes KP, Simhan HN, Bodnar LM. A weight-gain-for-gestational-age z score chart for the assessment of maternal weight gain in pregnancy. Am J Clin Nutr 2013;97:1062-7.
- Gernand AD, Bodnar LM, Klebanoff MA, Parks WT, Simhan HN. Maternal serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and placental vascular pathology in a multicenter US cohort. Am J Clin Nutr 2013;98:383-8.
- Moroz LA, Simhan HN. Rate of sonographic cervical shortening and biologic pathways of spontaneous preterm birth. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2014;210:555.e1-5.
- Scifres CM, Catov JM, Simhan HN. The impact of maternal obesity and gestational weight gain on early and mid-pregnancy lipid profiles. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2014;22:932-8.
- Tomedi LE, Simhan HN, Chang CC, McTigue KM, Bodnar LM. Gestational weight gain, early pregnancy maternal adiposity distribution, and maternal hyperglycemia. Matern Child Health J 2014;18:1265-70.
- Bodnar LM, Klebanoff MA, Gernand AD, Platt RW, Parks WT, Catov JM, Simhan HN. Maternal vitamin D status and spontaneous preterm birth by placental histology in the US Collaborative Perinatal Project. Am J Epidemiol 2014;179:168-76.
- Bodnar LM, Platt RW, Simhan HN. Early-pregnancy vitamin D deficiency and risk of preterm birth subtypes. Obstet Gynecol 2015;125:439-47.
For additional publications, visit Pubmed.