The College Summer Internship Program at Magee-Womens Research Institute provides students with the opportunity to participate in basic, translational, or clinical scientific research with the goal of interesting students in biomedical research as a potential career.
Start Date: Wednesday, May 31, 2023
End Date: Tuesday, July 25, 2023
During the 8-week program (40 hours per week), each student has the opportunity to work on their own research project under the guidance of an investigator(s) at Magee-Womens Research Institute. The Institute includes basic, translational, and clinical faculty researchers from the University of Pittsburgh’s Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology & Reproductive Sciences as well as from other departments at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. In addition, students will attend informal lunch and learn sessions where junior and senior investigators discuss biomedical science as a career from their personal perspectives and journeys in the field. At the end of the program, students present their research findings to other participants and the MWRI faculty and staff at the annual College Program Presentation Day.
- Development and Regenerative Medicine
- Women’s Cancers
- Infectious Diseases
- Reproductive Physiology, Gonadal Biology, and Fertility
- Women’s Health
Currently enrolled college students are eligible to apply. Candidates from schools outside the Pittsburgh area are welcome but are responsible for their own living arrangements, as our program does not cover housing or other residential assistance.
- Diet in Labor: Impact on Progression
- The Genetic Approach to the Study of Imprinted Genes
- Trophoblast-Specific Over-Expression of MicroRNA in the Mouse Placenta
- Vaginal Delivery of an Integrase Inhibitor for HIV Prevention
- Conditional Expression of Sohlh1 Can Rescue Sohlh1 Knockout Phenotype
- Investigation into the Function of the OOSP1 Gene in the Mouse Ovary
- Characterization and Evaluation of Nano-Patterned Vaginal Films Containing Tenofovir
- Gene and Protein Expression Profile of MUC1 and MUC16 in Metastatic Ovarian Cancer
- The Genetic Effects of Chemotherapy on Human Sperm
- The Effectiveness of Prophylactic Neuraxial Morphine for the Prevention of Postdural
- Puncture Headache in Parturients
- The Effects of Sex on Stress Resistance
Funding is available for 8 students per summer, but additional students may be accepted if supported fully by mentor.
In addition to these 8 positions, we will also have 1 position open at Magee-Womens Research Institute Erie. If interested in the student position in Erie, please indicate when you submit your application.
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted electronically (in a single PDF file saved as Last Name_First Name Application) to Gina Rossi (MWRCollegeProgram@mwri.magee.edu) no later than 5:00 PM, February 1.
Applications must include:
- Current Resume
- One page summary including your GPA and current year in college along with an explanation of your overall career goals, how this program could benefit you, and any specific area(s) of research interest as outlined above.
- Demographic Information Form
- Arrange for two letters of recommendation from professors at your college/university or employer if more appropriate to be sent separately to Gina Rossi (MWRCollegeProgram@mwri.magee.edu).
Students will be paid an hourly minimum wage. Applications must be complete to be considered.
Students 18 years and older will be expected to apply for State of PA clearances – Act 33, Act 34, and Act 73 and to provide completed documentation to the administrative coordinator overseeing that specific trainee program. Magee-Womens Research Institute will cover associated costs for clearances when provided with proof of payment.
Be the First to Know
Get the latest research, news, events and more delivered to your inbox.